Friday, January 22, 2016

Edible Music - English

'I'll take you to the candy shop
I'll let you lick the lollipop
Go ahead, girl, don’t you stop
keep goin’ ‘til you hit the spot (whoa)’

50 Cent may have spoiled the whole innocent lollipop licking experience with his lyrics, but the song caught on well a few years ago. The opening beats were enough for us to know that Candy Shop was being played. And it is no lie that the song was one of the chartbusters for a long time.

Nevertheless, this post is not about 50 Cent’s exploits, but about how there are some cool songs that either talk about food or have been popular for their food references.

I’ll be very frank when I say, I am not a hard-core music buff, but I do listen to certain popular tracks in various genres. So the though behind this post is to list out these songs, which I feel are quite popular of having food references. I will be listing out these in two lists, one for English songs and the other for Hindi songs.


Popular English Songs with Food titles/ references:



Sugar Sugar, Honey Honey – The Archies




Apparently, the original song was specifically written for Archies, the comic in 1969. I did not know that!

Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice

Sung by the band also with a food name – Vanilla Ice – Ice, Ice Baby was an unforgettable hit.
Don’t miss the moves! 



Milkshake – Kelis

After sugar and ice, next is Milkshake. Kelis shake-d and shake-d us to this song from her album ‘Tasty’ about six years ago. With repetitive raunchy lyrics like ‘My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, And they’re like it’s better than yours’ throughout the rap song.





American Pie – Don Mclean

This song from 1971-72 is one of my personal favourites as it instantly peps me up. Soulful voice of Don Mclean is throughout this rather long song – about 9 minutes.





Sweets for my Sweet, Sugar for my Honey – The Drifters



Truly a short and sweet song to serenade your sweetheart.


If you’re thinking why my selection is constrained to sweets, here’s a list of songs that are, if one can say so, savoury:

Potato Head Blues by Louis Armstrong

The Coffee Song by Frank Sinatra

The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin

Shanghai Noodle Factory by Traffic

Fried Chicken by Ice-T

Mother Popcorn by James Brown

You can check out more from this list of 100 songs here: 



I’ll be sharing the Bollywood/ Hindi Popular English Songs with Food titles/ references in my next post.

This is my list. What about you?
Which are your favourite songs that talk about food? Does it feed your soul?

Do share it in the comments section below:


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spit it out already!